Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Enterprise Partnership (GCGPEP)
Introduction to Signpost 2 Skills
Signpost 2 Skills is the wrap around brand for the implementation of our skills strategy, which is;
For our local business needs to drive skills supply at a local level.
We intend to make this happen in three ways:
- By making the potential workforce aware of key local businesses and opportunities so that they aspire to, and are ready for the careers available locally
- Supporting businesses to plan and budget for training in order to provide growth through people
- Using local data and intelligence to highlight locally important sectors and geographic differences to influence publicly funded training
Our approach to supporting the transition of young people into the workplace
We are offering the following level of support free of charge to schools;
- Support to audit a school’s current Careers Education Information Advice and Guidance (CEIAG).
- Support to develop the school’s strategic plan around CEIAG, including developing a business engagement strategy. We have developed a network of senior staff from businesses to act as volunteer Enterprise Advisers to support this process.
- We want to simplify the landscape for schools and we have developed a network of providers of CEIAG and we have mapped the offer to schools so that we can signpost schools to relevant providers to support them to implement their strategic plans.
- We are also refreshing our data around the economic needs and labour market information and GCGP wishes to work with schools and colleges to develop this data into a set of user friendly resources to support careers education (young people and staff).
The above activities are delivered by the LEP’s skills team and funded by the LEP and The Careers Enterprise Company
- Finally, GCGP has funded local skills teams to support the connection between education and businesses. The City Deal has provided the majority of the funds for the local Skills team operating in the CAP area with a contribution from GCGP. This service is provided by Form the Future for the CAP area and by Peterborough Skills Service to the North of the patch. The objective of a local skills service is to support schools to prepare young people for work at whatever age they leave the education system. They are not designed to support apprenticeships specifically but a large part of what they do will support the apprenticeship agenda. The main objective is to raise awareness of the local, regional and national job opportunities (will include apprenticeships), ensure young people know what employers will expect and through the use of businesses volunteers develop their skills and attitudes accordingly. GCGP’s rationale for a local skills service is primarily about responding to the needs of businesses who continue to report difficulty recruiting young people. Businesses report challenges in both attracting applicants and finding young people with the right attitudes and skills. In this regard Signpost2skills has been positioned as a brand to be relevant to employers as well as schools. A key focus is on mapping activity and making it easier for employers, providers and schools to connect with each other.
For further details, please contact
Stella Cockerill- Skills lead
email@example.com 01480 277180 or mobile: 07715 640107