The Cambridge Area 14-19 Partnership has supported schools and businesses to work together with students from the start of secondary school through further education since January 2013.
With the introduction of a new Greater Cambridge City Deal Skills Service, CAP’s Employer Links team has established a new social enterprise, Form the Future. They continue to support all CAP schools and work with the hundreds of businesses and other organisations in the Cambridge area who wish to inspire and support young people.
They have also established a new website to bring together schools and businesses: Step Up
In the 2015/16 academic year, Form the Future facilitated:
- Careers and employability support from businesses to over 12,000 young people
- Work experience for more than 1,000 students
- Mentoring for 40 students from 3 schools
- Partnerships between schools and businesses
- Schools’ access to additional resources and opportunities for their students
When schools and businesses work together, young people get better preparation for the world of work to meet the regional economy’s skills needs. Evidence shows that four or more meaningful interactions with employers throughout secondary school can significantly reduce a young person’s chance of being NEET (not in education, employment or training) at 19.